Monday 14 March 2011

Distress ink backgrounds...

As we know this months challenge over at Hero Arts is layer backgrounds.  Shari Carroll did a video and part of her technique was to smooch distress ink onto an acrylic block, spritz with water and then put onto your paper.... well on Saturday at my stamp group, Jill's demo used the same technique.  However in Jill's demo she then clear embossed Hero Arts Poppy background and then used the inks to colour in the poppies.   I decided to give it a go... but my first piece looked a bit yucky... sort of a bit muddy and I had used a grided block and there were some funny lines on the paper.... so I had another go.... using some similar colours inks ~ yellows and oranges with a touch of green.  Much better~~~
Distress ink background

I used the Spiced Marmalade ink to colour the poppies and the Shabby Shutters for the stems.  Added some orange ribbon I had and some soft peachy orange Bazzil for the base... I had chosen some brighter orange background but my style guru (Sue B) persuaded me that it was not right... and sure enough she was right!!!!

So I decided that next I would try and rescue my first piece of background.... I used a distress applicator to sponge some more distress ink on the piece.  Then I stamped the Envelope pattern over it.  I remembered that Linda had made a card where she used two different inks on a vine stamp slightly moving the stamp ( see here)  I thought I'd try something like that on the background...
Friends

I used a green distress ink and then the black Versafine.  I used a Fiskers sentiment stamp and then found some interesting ribbon to add along the bottom with a bow.  The rescue was successful!

Both of these cards were made on my 8 1/2 hours at Stamp Group.... I made a few more, but some can't be revealed as yet... some secret squirrel stuff and some waiting for the recipients to receive... so more over the coming weeks.   I had a great time as usual.

Another weekend over and only 2 more days till my daughter leaves.  We had a lovely dinner at home last night with the children and their partners.   The last time for quite some time.  A touch of sadness.....

Hope your week is a happy one.

11 comments:

Monika Reeck said...

Dont be sad Dawn but you have much time to stamping then :) smile dear and I like your card so lovely colors and inks on that card...adorable result..hugs

Vicky said...

You really make beautiful cards Aunty Dawn, I love them all :)

Pajalu said...

Hi Dawn, firstly I wish my "yucky" cards could be rescued like yours. I love both of these cards, but the second one is so beautifully done. If you had not said anything I would have thought it was meant to be that way. I am sure that your dd will miss you as much as you miss her. Luckily there are things like Skype to keep you all conected. Sending you extra hugs xoxoxoxoxo

~amy~ said...

lovin' your cards...both of them are sooo wonderful...I especially love the first one because I'm a fan of orange:)

Lin said...

You had a very productive day - LOVE both of these!!

joy said...

The oranges in that first card just POP! It is such a beautiful card, Dawn. And, the rescued one looks perfect to me - I'm sure it wasn't as bad as you thought to begin with. Lovely cards.

Barb said...

Love that little twist on Shari's technique! Both cards are beautiful, Dawn! I know you'll be missing your daughter soon. . .Sending hugs to you!

Scrumplescrunch said...

Having seen these two cards in the (flesh)sic. I can vouch that they are very lovely. Naturally I love the orange card as I had some teeny weeny input, but the second card where you have offset the image is also lovely,so I really do not have a favourite as both are great in their own way.
You will shed some tears Dawn no doubt about it, as that is what Mums do when a child leaves the shores. I have been there and done that and it is hard for a while, but be assured the pain of separation will ease, and like everyone says Skype is the next best thing. Be strong my friend.
Smiles:)

Anita Rex said...

Hi Dawn! Such a lovely cards today! I love how you did the first one, embossing over top is sucha great idea! :> And love how you stamped the leaves on the second one! :> I am sad that your daughter is leaving! :< For a mother for her daughter to leave is quite hard! I must have missed where she is going. :> Hugs to you my friend!

Suzanne C said...

Gorgeous cards. Love the distressed backgrounds. The colors you mixed are beautiful! So sorry for you that your daughter will be moving so far away.

Tiffany Ervin said...

Wow! These are beauties Dawn! Radiant colors on the orange poppies!