Saturday 18 July 2009

More alcohol inks and a trip to SENZ

Last night I thought I'd try using alcohol inks on Shrink plastic to see what would happen. I wanted to try the techniques that Jennifer McGuire did on glass and acetate and see if they would work on the plastic. Well they did and How!! The background colours were intensified by the shrinking process. I made a tag onto which I used the fern stamp in Archival ink and wiped off to get a resist look. In the middle scallop I did the same with the butterfly stamp. In this one the copper fixative really came through. The smaller circle colours look quite "old". I was very pleased with the results of this experiment.
Today I went out to Manukau City ( about 35kms from my place) to go the the SENZ papercraft expo. I hadn't booked for any of the classes (with all the uncertainty of health of SIL didn't want to commit) so just went out for the shopping....
Lots of the stalls had Make'n'takes going on or demos of different products. First demo's I watched were at the SANZI imports stall. They import Cuttlebugs, Circuts, Spellbinders and other such stuff. I watched examples of using Perfect Pearls then some alcohol ink and later in the day came back for a demo on using Adirondack Inks and double embossing with the Cuttlebug. Over at Rubbadubbadoo's stall they were doing this card. A simple and quick card that took about 5 mins to make. The butterflies were stamped in Stazon onto acetate and then coloured with permanent pens on the reverse. The centre of the card was masked and then the stamping done both top and bottom with some stippling of the ink to get the line. The sentiment was then stamped in the masked area and the butterflies added. Hey presto -all done.
I did a bit of shopping - I had a $25 voucher for Hastings Rubber stamps so used that to get the Grid Patterns stamp - only cost $5.90 with the discount. Also saw the teddy stamp there so got that. I got some blender pads as well as the inks from Crafty Tart's stall. Think I'll be visiting that site again. Good prices.
Caan't wait to play with the goodies.... but will have to be tomorrow as the rugby is about to start. All Blacks verus Australia.... first Bledisloe Cup and Tri Nations game. GO THE ALL BLACKS!!!
Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

Tomo H. said...

Dawn, I'm so interested in your shrink plastic pieces results. Thank you for sharing!
The 5 minutes card is so pretty! Oh, your gooddies are yummy~! :)

DustyPenny (Joy Ott) said...

Sounds like you had fun, Dawn! You are doing great with the alcohol inks!

Anne said...

Hi, Dawn! I see some goodies in your stash! The Tim Holtz compass mini-mask, the Bear Bouquet stamp, and more! That grid stamp is on my wishlist, too! Enjoy! :-)